Thursday, February 12, 2009

Worry Worry Worry, Part Uno...

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

That's how I feel. I have successfully NOT bitten my fingernails since I stopped getting acrylics 6 months ago. And over the weekend, that all went to hell. Things just keep going and going and going.

Jayna came down with an ear infection on January 24th. I took her to the doctor on the 26th and she was prescribed amoxicillin. She took that for 10 days as directed. Last Wednesday was her last day of that. She seemed okay on Thursday and Friday, but seemed to still have a little bit of a cold. And then again last Sunday it became painfully obvious that she still/again had an ear infection.

Chris took her to the doctor on Monday. She still had an ear infection and had pus in her left ear. So the infection had gotten worse. She also had fluid in her ears. She was prescribed omnicef. She'd been taking that for 2 days and then yesterday, her ears began to drain clear liquid. She refused to lie flat on her back. She also had a bad diarrhea accident and then threw up all of her formula but she acted fine. Still playing and laughing and smiling...until she laid down flat on her back. I called the doctor to find out if I needed to do anything in addition to Tylenol and her antibiotic and I was told that she needed to see the doctor.

I took her yesterday and the doctor checked her ears and told me that her ears were better. One was a little red and irritated, but there was no infection or fluid (duh...it had all just drained). I was sure that they'd say the diarrhea and vomiting was from the antibiotic, but they called that a separate issue...a stomach virus. WHAT?!? Who thinks they have a stomach virus after just ONE diarrhea and vomiting episode, especially when said person is on an antibiotic that the #1 side effect of is vomiting and diarrhea?? Yeah, exactly.

While we were at the doctor, Jayna threw a HUGE fit and broke out in a rash all over her head. I thought it was from her crying and thrashing around and all. She was REALLY worked up, so I wrote it off as stress and didn't think alot about it. Well, she had 2 more diarrhea episodes (even after being on the brat diet for 24 hours), the rash is STILL on her head and her eyes were REALLY swollen when she got up this morning. They are still swollen almost 6 hours later...and she had yet ANOTHER complete diarrhea blowout this morning. Whose eyes swell up when they have a stomach virus?? Yeah, exactly.

Chris called the doctor today and told them about all of this. After an HOUR of waiting for a call back, they've decided that it is NOT a reaction to the antibiotic and to keep an eye on her and to keep giving her the antibiotic. And I'm a nervous wreck. I'm scared to death that she's going to have a more severe reaction and need to go to the hospital. I'm not usually one for disagreeing with the doc, but I just think this is sort of an open-and-shut case of a reaction to the antibiotic. If something happens to my baby SOMEONE will pay for it...

If I wouldn't have been at work when Chris told me what the doctor said I would have thrown a fit. I mean a major cussing, crying, throwing things and hitting something fit. I may still do that a little later. I'm so pissed. I'm so frustrated. I want my baby to be okay. I don't want her to have to see an ear/nose/throat doctor because of her ears. And I sure as hell don't want her to have a HORRIBLE reaction to her medicine!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They seriously don't think it's a reaction?? They better have some kind of answer!